Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sound Advice

I went in to talk to Joline about a few things (one being capstone) the other day, and i think i got some great perspective on my capstone project (which is good because I have been mostly talking about technical things about the projet).

I want to couple an installation with the site, to get people into the flow of what I want this project to be about. I want the project to investigate the deep meanings and mysteries of the places we inhabit and experience things. Obviously, we all have memories and stories in a house, but what about the spaces outside , the land outside of construction. A tree house is a structure that holds children's memories, and children have a very unique insight into place and time for their minds are not brushed with society too much.I want people to have fun, but also explore the deep meanings of places.

Joline noted the Hobi tribe cannot sell their land ever because when they die they become part of the earth (buried), and then they literally are part of the food that is grown nourishing the future generations. I think these are interesting aspects, and the sorts of things i want to explore such as how the places that surround us are viewed by different people historically and culturally.

I hope to do that by doing an installation that couples the feelings and mysteries these places represent, then do those same portions on the site so people get an idea of how the site feels. This would include some deep things and then some more fun things to balance out the site.

She gave me some other resources to look over, so i hope to start some research in these areas.

http://cordova.asap.um.maine.edu/~blaisj/presence/

Then some books to check out!

**The Spell of the Sensuous, D Abram
**The practice of the Wild, Gary Snyder
**Songlines, Bruce Chatwin
**Dreaming Aboriginal paths

No comments: