Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pushing The Envelope : Digital Storytelling

I found some stuff on "Digital Storytelling", which sounds very interesting. I want the site to be easy, but also dynamic and creative for people to explore.

Digital Storytelling is the modern expression of the ancient art of storytelling.
Digital stories derive their power by weaving images, music, narrative and voice
together, thereby giving deep dimension and vivid color to characters
situations, experiences, and insights. Tell your story now digitally.
-http://electronicportfolios.com/digistory/

I really want to integrate a social aspect of storytelling, but want people to feel comfortable bearing a little of their soul, which will obviously call for a tight and trustworthy community. I think the digital storytelling portion sounds very interesting, so that stories can be textual, but images, sounds, etc. gives a lot of extra to our senses and sometimes can help us picture us there more.

There are many reasons we tell stories, a lot of the examples in the digital storytelling site above, talk about stories being tied close to family and descendants. I find those aspects very interesting, about a legacy of yourself living on, even after you are gone. Therefore in the respect of digital storytelling.

As far pushing the envelope on digital storytelling I will have to think about some more because it includes all the different medias to tell the stoies you want. I believe in the sense that a location that can be mapped and have multiple digital stories there at once will add something, and i want people to feel connected to this site, but minus the installation i want to do, this is a digital project, and the places we experience are mostly physical, but that may raise some interesting research on digital places as well as concrete places. I think with integration of the three components I want for this (stories, networks, mapping) I will create something new.

Another place on the web that is interesting in storytelling is The Fray. We've talked about this site in a lot of different new media classes of mine, and for a good reason. There are categories of stories, and each story is a form of digital storytelling, that allows you to tell a similar story to at the end, if you navigate through the whole story. This is a way of "burying the button" so people won't post crap, and also give insight on a subject. I would love to incorporate some form of feedback, or discussion of some sort to adopt into my project.

Stories really are the main focus of my project, the other things come inherently from what I want this project to present, so i want to spend a lot of time working with this and trying to push stories a little more.

No comments: