Wednesday, September 06, 2006

HomeQuest

I am about 90% sure that I want to keep developing a project that I started in 206. I think it has a lot of potential and want to research based around this topic, and then get help in coding and programming the idea.

The idea is named (for now) "HomeQuest". I want to think of a new name, but as for now this is what I have.

Over the last year I have thought about some different interfaces I would use with it.

this is the work that i did in 206 concerning the project.
http://cordova.asap.um.maine.edu/~leavittm3/206final.html

My goal is to really investigate memory and stories. I talked with a few professors who mention that maybe i am talking more about stories than memories, as per who completely remembers a place.

For research, I want to investigate places, memories, stories, and such, so this can become a place of stories that connect people.

In class today we talked about how we are all connected and how these projects matter to us as well as the outside world. We all care about the places we've been, the people we've grown up with, schools, etc., so "HomeQuest" is a membrane to hold all these stories in.

Research will most likely include varies of social programs as well as mapping programs since this is sort of a nexus of those two existing parties. I intend on really investigating features and whatnot so people can come together to share experiences.

Another hope I had for this nexus was the ability to see the past , present, and future. We see the past through stories, pictures, posts, etc (and hopefully a map that shows historically what was in locations), the present of where we are today, and maybe where we want to move, or go based on other peoples experiences in one place.

As per presentation, I have been thinking about a lot of different things. Doing a map of campus, talking with people, and interacting that way, doing a personal map of my memories in the world, and then hopefully creating this site for people to go onto and use.

These are some initial thoughts, but I very much enjoy the idea of doing a social mapping of stories.

No comments: