Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pushing The Envelope : More on Frappr/Mapping

I went over this project a little in class beforehand, but this really examplifies the network I wish to create with my project. The greatest thing about Frappr (Friends + Mappter) is the fact that you can create your own maps for different common threads, i.e. - "people who like ace of base", or "people who want to fly". Sort of like groups on myspace, but visual, which is what I like about this project most, how visual it is. We are a very visual society, and seeing where the common threads of your interests are is an important dynamic.

Frappr has profiles and the whole nine yards, the only thing is the design is a little shoddy, and though there are a bunch of people on the server, not nearly as many as myspace/facebook.

That is the one thing I want to avoid in doing my project. Frappr is great, but their goal as stated here:

Ever want to see all your friends on myspace on a map? Well now you can!
Check out our totally sweet myspace map feature. All you do is put in your
myspace url, and we’ll build a map for you! Its that easy

Frappr is about creating a network exactly like myspace, but in a mapping program.

I want my project to push beyond the social networks out there already. I obviously want there to be a social aspect, but I want storytelling to be the main artifact within the network. Maps are a great idea, but I think with design, and posting initial stories i can set the tone above "i like this band" or "i like juice and cocaine". I really want to investigate places we inhabit, visit, experience, and that requires a more serious audience.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=createmap2&mapid=2608490

I found an article that talks about a network of social maps based on the obesity of children. This is NOT the tone I want to set, that we are looking for trends (other than we share some sort of connection to a place), but I found this article interesting and seems to be closer to what i want than a myspace replica.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,67680,00.html


Either way the point is to find a deep connection of energy in a given place and sharing it with people through different forms of meida and connecting with each other on the same level.

No comments: