Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pushing The Envelope : Mapping Sex In America

Mapping Sex in America is truly the closest thing I have found to what I want to do with my project. The interface, though not very community driven (though I do want community focus is still on storytelling).

The Museum of Sex invites you to participate in its national project,
Mapping Sex in America. Record your personal sex history and become
a part of this ongoing archive chronicling Americans' stories of sexual practice
and the evolution of America's sexual customs.

Mapping Sex in America takes our private stories and allows us to share them in
an environment that encourages our contemplation. What are our boundaries?
Prejudices? What turns us on and what offends us? What are the implications in
terms of sex education, crime prevention, and disease control?

From the mundane to the passionate to the scandalous and everything in between,
these stories have the capacity to captivate us, heal us, and educate us; but perhaps
most importantly they connect us in a colorful world heretofore shrouded by the
conventions of discretion.

I think those paragraphs describe the project very throughoughly, but can be checked out here :
http://www.museumofsex.com/USAmap/

The way they craft their stories, with categories, places, and stories are a close example to what I want to achieve, but without the main focus being sex. I have thought about how to go above this, but I think just the subjct matter alone will go above this. Sex, obviously important, could be a part of the site, but childhood memories, love connections, anything that sparks strong emotions.

Almost like the Daily Me : Personal Editions we did, but maybe even a little less superficial.

I think the look, feel, and interface of the Museum of Sex site is very much what I am looking for in a feel, but wit a little more interface of connection of people. I want the same sort of networking, but I think they really capture the (sexual) feel to a given place, so this remains very interesting to me.

With their map you can get VERRRY close to the street depending if there are a lot of stories etc, so I want to achieve a certain amount of what they did but with much more of a connection of energy and people in a different way.

No comments: